20 May 2012

Squarepusher Review on Pitchfork

I haven't listened to all of Squarepusher's new album, Ufabulum, but I've heard three new tracks and I've really enjoyed what I've heard so far.

I've just read the review of this album on Pitchfork and the 6.3 review has moved me to type out a few thoughts.

The reviewer seems to advocate for an adapted version of Ufabulum for first time listeners and those who just can't keep up. Jess Harvell, the reviewer, is like a kid busy colouring a picture of King Tut next to someone else's mom in grade 8 while the rest of the kids are practicing hieroglyphics.  

"Heiroglyphics are too hard," shouts Jess Harvell. "We all want to colour King Tut!"

No, we don't. But Jess should be colouring pictures because heiroglyphics are too hard for him.

It would be like Jess criticizing Usain Bolt for being too hard to see when he runs fast.

"That's always been what I disliked about Bolt's running; he never seems to slow down and I can't remember what it looked like when he was running in the middle or at the beginning! Usain's latest run seems to be another for-fans-only deal."

Yes, it is. Thank-you.

It seems that Jess Harvell doesn't like the new Squarepusher album simply because it's too hard for him to understand. It makes him exhausted. According to Jess, this has always been the problem with Squarepusher music. The complexity and layering in Jenkinson's ideas have always been what I and many other fans have enjoyed about this music.  

I've had jobs before where I was told to stop doing things well because it would make it too difficult for the next guy to come in a fill my shoes. In other words, do it half-assed so that the next guy will be able to keep up. I think this is the tone of the pitchfork criticism.
 
I've never been a fan of reviews that criticize music for being too full or overstuffed, overly complicated or too much of a good thing. Because remember, you don't have to eat the whole thing at once. 

Exercise a little self-control and I'm sure Ufabulum will continue to deliver surprises for years to come.